Air Force Association – Sijan Chapter
The Lance P. Sijan Chapter annually sponsors scholarships awarded to outstanding high school seniors who have been accepted for enrollment at a college or university, and to current outstanding freshman, sophomore and junior college students. High School applicants must be high school seniors/graduates who plan to attend college during the 2017-18 academic year. Students selected for full scholarships that will be awarded in 2017, or have been selected to attend a Military Service Academy, are not eligible. Scholarships are open to family members of active duty and retired Air Force, Air Force Reserve, and Air National Guard members.
The Lance P. Sijan Chapter Scholarships are awarded based on the overall character and leadership potential of the student, which includes academic achievement, demonstrated leadership, community service, and writing composition. A Scholarship Selection Committee, comprised of aerospace industry leaders, will score all applications and select the scholarship recipients. The scholarship selection process is nondiscriminatory and Scholarship Committee members’ immediate family members are not eligible for a scholarship award nor can they benefit financially in any way from this program. There is no specified restriction on the use of scholarship award moneys; however, it is the intent of the Sijan Chapter that they be utilized in the direct support of academic pursuits.
Click the link below to download and complete application packages must include the following (only complete packages will be considered):
- Application form (completely filled out). Applicants must use the application form below, or from the Lance P. Sijan Chapter website at https://www.lancepsijanafa.org, to apply for a 2017 scholarship. This one form will be used for all scholarships
- A transcript of high school grades.
- A copy of SAT and/or ACT scores (high school seniors only).
- At least one letter of recommendation from a current or past teacher of the applicant. (Up to three letters of recommendation may be included with the application.)
- An essay of no less than 500 words and no more than 1000 words that answers the following question:
As it approaches the 70th anniversary of its founding in 1949, is the NATO alliance still viable in the 21st Century?
All applications must be postmarked no later than 1 April 2017 to be considered for the 2017-2018 academic year. Send all applications to the following address:
Each scholarship recipient will be notified of his/her selection no later than 1 May 2017. Recipients will receive their scholarship checks via mail no later than 12 May 2017.
For additional information, please contact the Sijan Chapter Scholarship Chairman: